As per a report, Indian households report at least one power outage of 2-hour duration each day. Moreover, 57% of Indian households face at least 4 hours of power cut on a daily basis. And even though the conditions are gradually improving, it will still take a lot of time before consistent power is no longer a dream. This makes the inverter a crucial piece of equipment, as constant power supply is essential for improved productivity and is an important of part of our day to day lives.
An inverter is a crucial piece of equipment and can make lives easy in places where power outages are frequent and often last for hours; buying a good quality inverter that’s capable of handling your specific needs and requirements is still a tedious task with the plethora of options available in the market.
Two individuals never have the same requirement and therefore, it’s crucial to get an inverter that’s tailored towards your needs. In this article we are going to tell you exactly what you need to watch out for when you are about to get a new inverter or looking to replace your old one.
Calculate your Power Requirement
The amount of power requirement you have should be the primary driving factor when it comes to choosing an inverter for your home. Getting an underpowered inverter wouldn’t be a good idea; therefore, always calculate your requirement before shortlisting an inverter.
Here’s a handy table to get you started:
Based on the table if you have a household consisting of 5 fans, 5 tube lights, 6 CFL’s, 8 LED bulbs and 2 Television sets, you will require 1016 watts of power. Therefore, you need to get an inverter that is able to support it.
Calculating Inverter Capacity
The inverter’s power output is defined by its VA, and it’s clearly stated on the inverter’s listing if you’re viewing it online or on the box itself in case you are examining it physically. Choose an inverter that’s nearest to your power requirement. For example, if your power requirement is 800 Watts, an inverter with a 900 VA should be enough to handle that load.
Types of Inverter
Once you have the above two points figured out, it’s time to decide the type of inverter you want for your home. Generally speaking, you can go for two types:
- Sine Wave Inverter: A sine wave inverter is typically used to run household appliances like televisions, refrigerators, etc. Plus, they are more efficient for converting DC to AC. However, these are a bit on the costlier side but they offer maximum safety when running appliances and don’t create a lot of noise when operational. Sine wave inverters are the best option if you want a backup for your computers, laptops, ovens, and other heavy-duty appliances.
- Square Wave Inverter: A square wave inverter is also used to convert DC power to AC power. While it is inexpensive compared to sine wave inverters, it comes at the cost of safety when running appliances. Moreover, it has a high noise profile.
If you are planning on getting a backup system for your home, a sine wave inverter is the ideal choice since they have a long service life and offer exceptional backup during power cuts without the humming noise generated by a square wave inverter when running appliances.
Image Courtesy: Luminous
The Luminous Zelio + 1100 Home Pure Sinewave Inverter UPS
The Luminous Zelio + 1100 Home Pure Sinewave Inverter UPS is one of the best inverters you can buy for your home.
Depending on your power requirement, you can choose either of the one. Both of the variants come with Luminous exceptional service life guarantee and after sales service.
- A 32-bit DSP processor makes it the most intelligent home UPS in India
- Sine wave output protects your sensitive appliances
- Smart LED display puts all the vital statistics such power backup status/ charging time, etc. at your fingertips
- Completely noiseless operation
- Supports a wide variety of batteries like tubular, flat-plate, and SMF.
- Comes with a 24-month warranty
|Max Charging Current (in Amperes)||15|
|Net weight (kg.)||10 kg|
|No. of batteries supported (12V)||1 N (One Number)|
|VA Rating||900 VA|
|Warranty||24 Months (For detailed terms and conditions of warranty please refer to the warranty card supplied along with the product.)|
|Dimensions (L*B*H)||27.5×24.8×12 CM|
|Contents of Pack||1 N Inverter, 1 N Manual|
An inverter with the right power output, service life, and the ability to provide seamless power to a variety of home appliances is crucial to ensure i consistency during power cuts. So, the next time you are thinking of buying a new inverter or replacing that old outdated one in your home, do make sure to check out this inverter from Luminous extensive range of home backup solutions.