ED Full Form: What Exactly Is ED (Enforcement Directorate) And What Does It Do?
ED Full Form is the Enforcement Directorate. ED is a premier law enforcement agency in India. It is a federal agency and belongs to the Union Ministry of Finance. ED is an acronym that stands for Enforcement Directorate. The Enforcement Directorate is one of the many directorates under the Ministry of Finance. It is the nation’s chief economic law enforcement agency.
The agency was established as a department under the Ministry of Finance in the year 1999, and became a full-fledged agency under the Ministry of Finance in the year 2003. It is primarily responsible for enforcing economic laws and fighting economic offences, and protecting the national economic interest. ED is a specialized law enforcement agency in India with jurisdiction over economic crimes, foreign exchange, and capital markets.
The Enforcement Directorate is an intelligence agency and law enforcement agency of the Government of India, responsible for enforcing economic laws, including those relating to customs, excise, foreign exchange and the prevention of money laundering.
The ED Full Form (Enforcement Directorate)
This section contains ED’s main objectives, operating model, current operations, and other general information. Here we discuss the background of the Enforcement. Directorate and its main objectives. Indian Economy, The main objective of ED is to prevent tax evasion, both fiscal and non-fiscal.
According to the official ED website, The core objective of the Directorate is to develop and enforce penal law to prevent the prevention of financial crimes and enforce penalties to collect revenue of the Government of India.
ED’s Structure & Responsibility || ED Full Form
The agency’s functioning is established under the Supreme Court and the Central Vigilance Commission Act, 1988. It was given the power to do financial intelligence in the year 2001. An Additional Director heads the Economic Offences Wing (EOW). The present Director is Boloyanwar Sajjan Raju, a 1981 batch IPS officer. It is the principal investigator agency of the Central Government in conducting investigations in economic offenses. It has a particular purpose vehicle that conducts searches and seizures. They investigate cases related to Foreign Exchange, Forex & Gold smuggling & exchange Economic and financial offenses, money laundering, smuggling, drug trafficking, counterfeiting, unregistered businesses, Etc.
ED Full Form || What Is It Composed Of?
Before ED existed, the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence was responsible for collecting information on suspicious transactions in violation of laws. It also assisted the enforcement wing in enforcing the laws. Then, it was renamed the Directorate of Intelligence, Department of Revenue. ED was founded to improve on the Directorate of Intelligence, Department of Revenue.
How Do I Learn More About ED?
- Go To: https://www.ed.gov.in
- Click On the Sign-Up button. You will be prompted for your unique membership number. This number will be entered as your identity certificate (I-card). Click the End button.
- Enter your unique membership number and click Submit. Enter your new User ID and password and click Submit.
full form of ED || What does the Enforcement Directorate do?
The principal objective of the Enforcement Directorate is to initiate a criminal investigation of any economic offense of economic significance against persons involved in the commission of such offense and recommend prosecution of such offense.
What role does ED play in enforcement actions?
Electronic crimes: On any criminal offense, e.g., Act of Passport Regulation, Foreign Exchange Regulation, Etc; ED as mandated under PMLA is empowered to file prosecution case in the State Courts. Corruption, money laundering, Foreign Exchange and Securities.
ED is tasked to file prosecution cases against corruption, money laundering, foreign exchange, and securities offenses.
What are the objectives of the Enforcement Directorate?
The main objectives of the Enforcement Directorate are:
- To confiscate and proceeds of crime and enforce the law of the land.
- To obtain civil, criminal, and administrative action to deter and prevent economic offenses and enforce penalties on offenders to protect the interests of the State and its revenue, to secure compliance of laws, and to prosecute and punish offenders concerning crimes of economic offense and economic terrorism.
- To collect and process information.
- To examine financial transactions. 5) to investigate, monitor, and carry out operations regarding economic offenses and economic terrorism.
What are the operations of the Enforcement Directorate? || ED ka full form
Operations of the Enforcement Directorate
1= Effectively enforcing laws relating to violations of Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) and other economic offenses
2= Providing intelligence, forgery, surveillance, detection and prosecution relating to non-payment of taxes, evasion of laws related to foreign exchange and other economic offenses
What are the significant cases filed by the ED in the last decade?
- Ganges Canal Dredging Scam (17 November 2014) – Foreign Exchange Loss of Rs. 2736 crore to the Indian exchequer
- ED filed the case against former IT minister Kanimozhi and others relating to Aircel Maxis Scam (27 July 2012) – Tax Evasion/ money laundering/ money
laundering through Foreign Banks
ED Full Form || What Exactly Is ED And What Does It Do?
According to Article 141 of the Indian Constitution, there are other roles of ED as well. They have been given the authority to:
- Collect, maintain and protect evidence of any nature related to violations of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002.
- Enforce any proceeding under this Act or any other law to the extent necessary for that enforcement.
- Detain, investigate and prosecute offenders involved in violations of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002.
ED is an Indian federal law enforcement organization. It is under the Ministry of Finance and is composed of some eminent officers of the law. ED is responsible for a wide variety of crime detection and investigation activities.
Check Out: ICU Full Form: What Does ICU Mean 4 you?